The Grand Prix Competition was started to reward participation by OVRRC members in OVRRC events. Points are given at each race to members participating in and helping with the event. A running total of the points is kept throughout the year and awards are given at the end of the year. The rules for the 2009 Grand Prix Competition are as follows.
Rules for GRAND PRIX 2009
- Grand Prix points will be kept in 5 divisions based on age [Male Open --- Under 40, Male Masters --- 40 – 49 , Male Grandmasters --- 50 and over , Female Open --- Under 40, and Female Masters --- 40 and over]. A club member may be assigned to a division based on his age at the first race in which he participates OR he may choose to be placed in a younger division (in this case he must notify club officials before he is given any points and he cannot change during the year). A club member will not change divisions because of a birthday during the year.
- Only current club members will receive Grand Prix points. If someone joins the club in the middle of the year, his Grand Prix points will start at the first race in which he is a paid member.
- Points for running/walking in an event will be given as follows: Club members will be pulled from the total list of finishers and divided into the 5 age divisions mentioned above. The first club member in each division will receive 100 points, the second 90 points, the third 80 points, …, the tenth 10 points, and any others will receive 5 points each.
- Points for working a race will be given as follows:
- The race director will receive 100 points.
- Club members who mark the course immediately before the race will receive 40 points. Club members who pick up the course immediately after the race will receive 25 points.
- Club members who measure and mark a new course (or re-measure and mark an old course) will receive 100 points.
- Club members that pull the OVRRC trailer to and from an event will receive 75 points.
- Club members that work the finish line area (finish line setup, recording finish times, handing out cards to finishers, recording age group winners) will participate in multiple activities prior to and after the race, and will receive 30 points.
- Members who attend the monthly club meetings will receive 20 points per meeting.
- No member can receive more than 200 points for one race.
- Grand Prix points will be kept throughout the year and at the end of the year awards will be given to the top 2 in each division. Some divisions may recognize more than 2 winners, depending on the number of participants. In order to be eligible for an award, at least 60 of the members points must be earned by working at a race.